Wednesday 11 June 2014

Sails Project

Often the most unexpected work comes from starting a project by doing some straight observational drawing and using the drawings as inspiration. At the start of this project I had no idea what the outcome would be, but after doing a series of drawings I decided to use this one as the stimulus for a final piece:


This came from the only life drawing session I have had all year, an issue which my art school needs to address. Anyway, I really liked the set up with sails hanging from the rafters and beach equipment scattered around. I loved the sweep of the sails and the strange contrast of the models with the setting. I started playing about with this idea using a mixture of media - acrylic paint, magazine cuttings, ink and fine-line pens, and ended up with a series of collages:



The text "stack: error: undefined offending command: opp" happened by accident during my development work - I printed off a picture I had scanned and found there had been some kind of printing error which had added this text on top of the image. I liked the effect but not being great with computers had no idea how to replicate it other than typing the words into Microsoft Word, printing them off and sticking them onto my collages which (I think) created an interesting relationship between analogue and digital.


No comments:

Post a Comment